I can’t even explain how excited I am to announce… I have finally purchased a REAL camera! Please bear with me through the process of figuring out how to use it. I have never even operated a professional camera so this is a learning experience for me all around. I can honestly say this is the first picture I have ever taken with a real camera and while it isn’t perfect, it is much better then the iPad photos I have been using! I’m really excited to continue growing my photography and feedback is much appreciated. 🙂
On to the pancakes… my husband actually had a dream that someone from his past was baby-wearing and making lemon ricotta pancakes at the same time. Seriously, I couldn’t make this up if I tried! Sunday morning I woke up refreshed because somehow I managed to sleep 12 hours after a really long day. It was glorious! Making up for lost sleep usually equates to a big breakfast here, and he mentioned the dream pancakes so I looked around the web but couldn’t find a whole grain version. I found this recipe on Cooking Classy and adapted it to a whole grain version using whole wheat pastry flour and whole spelt. I also made them a second time with whole wheat pastry flour and oat flour, and I have to say I liked the spelt better! I made a few other revisions to their recipe and they turned out fabulous! They are super light, fluffy, and have just a touch of lemon.
*I cook these in a cast iron skillet with about a tablespoon of melted ghee. The key to the perfect pancakes in cast iron is heating it correctly. Put the ghee or butter in your skillet when you begin mixing your ingredients. Keep it on low and let it get nice and warm. I turn it up to just under medium when I begin cooking the pancakes. Low and slow is the way to go! If your skillet is seasoned nicely you should not have to add any more ghee to your pan after the first tablespoon.
Whole Spelt, Lemon, and Ricotta Pancakes
By June 25, 2014Published:
- Yield: 8-10 pancakes using 1/4 cup batter
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
I can't even explain how excited I am to announce... I have finally purchased a REAL camera! Please bear with …
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese I used whole milk ricotta
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter (melted)
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp lemon zest or zest of about 3 lemons
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- Mix dry ingredients. Make a well in the center of your bowl and set aside.
- Mix all wet ingredients, excluding lemon juice and zest. When wet ingredients are combined add juice and zest, stir to combine, and pour into dry ingredient well.
- Stir to combine. Cook over low-medium heat, using about 1/4 cup of batter at a time for the perfect size pancake. (I have a measuring cup with a little spout on it, which makes it easy to get a nice and round pancake).
- Course: Breakfast