Ok let me just state the obvious… I got new little dishes and I LOVE THEM! It’s like I’m a little kid again playing around with a tea party set or something. Although my real childhood tea party set was not near as cool because it was plastic and I ate boxed Hamburger Helper out of it. Really parents, really?
Now that I’m an adult I get to go to Pier 1 with my big girl pants on and pick out some awesome little dishes to take pictures of food in.
Scratch that. I get to go to Pier 1 with my oldest son who REALLY wanted to break something in there, so I was basically panicking the whole time because the associates were glaring at me like I was a totally inadequate parent for bringing my child in there. Single with no kids much? I promise associates, one day you’ll totally get it.
Enough about my awesome dishes, let’s talk about this brown rice risotto because lawdy this stuff is amaze-balls. So amaze-balls I get to say amaze-balls. I love, love, love cooking with marsala wine, and anytime marsala is involved so are baby bellas. Baby bellas + marsala + me = LOVE, just incase you didn’t get that when I said
Now let me just tell you beforehand, making risotto is more time consuming then just throwing the lid on a pot of brown rice and walking away. You DO have to ladle the liquid into the pot little by little, but I think it is worth it in the end when you have a ol’ pot of this risotto that you might just want to keep all for yourself. Making it isn’t technical, it just requires a little extra attention. Also, make sure you use quick cooking brown rice or this will take an eternity to cook!
Marsala and Veggie Brown Rice Risotto
By October 29, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 35 mins
Be sure to note this recipe calls for quick cooking brown rice!
- 2 Tbsp extra virign olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1 package baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice
- 3 cups chicken stock (homemade preferred) or 3 cups water and 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 - 1 cup marsala wine I used 1 cup for a very prominent marsala flavor
- 10-15 spears asaragus
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- additional salt & pepper to taste
- Put 3 cups of stock in a small saucepan on the stovetop and bring to the brink of a boil. Keep stock warm for ladling into risotto later. Chop onions, garlic cloves, and mushrooms. Place in pot with olive oil over medium heat and cook until onions are fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add brown rice and stir to coat in oil. Cook for about 2 minutes, then add marsala. When all liquid is absorbed, start adding your hot stock, 1 ladle at a time, allowing liquid to absorb between each ladle. Please note: pot should be at a rolling simmer the whole time, if it is not bump up your heat.
- When you have about 1 ladle of liquid left, trim ends of asparagus, cut in half and place in pot. Place lid on pot and allow asparagus to steam for 3-4 minutes before mixing in with the rest of the risotto. Remove lid, grate in parmesan, and add the last of your liquid. By the time it is mostly absorbed your rice will be fully cooked. Note: some people like their risotto a little soupy, so if need be add a little extra liquid at the end!