Parmesan. Mushrooms. Rice. Because everything is better with cheese! 🙂
I’ve made mushroom soup a ton of times. I can easily say THIS Mushroom soup should get a big blue ribbon that says #1, and maybe even one of those little gold star stickers because it is by far my favorite mushroom soup… ever!
Not only is this soup really delicious, it is packed with nutrition and antioxidants. Yes, I just said antioxidants. I know, I know, I’m going to get all healthy-person talk right now but bear with me because you might just want to try something new at the end of this! Black Japonica rice is hands down my new favorite ingredient to use. It has a really nutty and unique flavor (without being totally overbearing) that gives this soup just a hint of earthiness that goes perfectly with the mushrooms. Not only that…. it isn’t bleached and processed or fortified with a bunch of nutrients. It doesn’t need that crap, because it is just perfect the way it is. Anything that leaks color into a soup like this rice is amazing because color=antioxidants. I love, I love I love! If you don’t have black rice on hand, check the organic section of your local grocery store, I’m sure it will be there. I used Lundberg brand. There’s a handy-dandy link at the bottom of the post so you know what it looks like! Wild rice would be a great substitute for black rice if you’d like to go that route as well.
I mean really, this color! 🙂
So what else makes this soup really amazing? Whole grain mustard. Again! I know, I know. WHY more whole grain mustard? Hasn’t every recipe I’ve recently posted contain it? To be honest, maybe. I know for sure my Sweet-Fire Chilli had a little mustard in it, and I threw it in some Mac n Cheese the other day, and well it is just awesome so please expect to see a lot more of it! It just makes everything good. That’s all.
I served this soup with grilled cheese sandwiches (Ezekiel bread, butter, cheese), and my family loved it! Nothing says *breezy fall day* like soup and grilled cheese sandwiches so this was a perfect fall dinner. Veggies + Antioxidant rich rice + Grilled Cheese = Yum!0
Parmesan, Mushroom, and Rice Soup
By October 25, 2014Published:
- Yield: 5-6 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Dana Carvell (3BoysUnprocessed) Parmesan. Mushrooms. Rice. Because everything is better with cheese! 🙂 I've made mushroom …
- 4 Tbsp butter salted
- 1/2 onion
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1 and 1/2 cup carrots
- 1 package baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup whole wheat white flour
- 4 cups chicken stock homemade or low sodium preferred
- 1/2 cup black rice
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 and 1/2 tsp kosher or pink himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup milk for a creamier soup use 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 and 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Dice onion, celery, and carrots. Place in large pot with butter over medium-high heat and cook until fragrant and tender. Add mushrooms, reduce heat and cover, stirring frequently.
- When mushrooms are cooked add flour and stir into a thick paste. Add chicken stock and stir until flour is combined. Add rice, bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes (unless you substitute a quick cooking rice). When rice is tender add spices, parmesan, and milk to finish. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. (I used a homemade chicken stock that was not previously salted so salt might need to be adjusted if you used a boxed product.)