For real though, who doesn’t love some mac n cheese? It’s like an American diet staple. Please let’s remember the best mac n cheese DOES NOT… I repeat… DOES NOT come out of a box!
Kraft Annies Velveeta. Even the “better” organic boxed mac n cheese still has a nice little packet of cheese powder stuff right inside the cute little bunny box. Now please, someone… anyone… what IS that stuff?
How, just how I ask… do you get cheese powder like that? Don’t know, don’t care! *finger snap* because anyone who has a stove can make their own mac n cheese with just a few ingredients PLUS veggies. Incase you think you are not included in that “anyone” even my mom can make homemade mac n cheese, and let’s just say she’s not kitchen savy.
That’s real cheese right there! Cheese powder say what? That’s what I thought! In your face cute bunny packets!
Ok, now that I verbally abused the Annie’s bunny I’m just going to keep explaining how amazing one pot meals are that take LESS THAN 30 minutes to make. This reminds me so much of my Unprocessed Hamburger Helper recipe, in that it is made the same way. Instead of ground beef, I sautéed those lil baby bellas with a clove o’ garlic, and then I added the other goodies, put a lid on that baby, and let a little heat work it’s magic. Now, let’s not just walk away from our stove like those baby bellas don’t need supervision because they do. This pot needs stirred a little more then the Unprocessed Hamburger Helper but it is still very low maintenance and easy.
If you are looking for a little more oommmph in your pot, go ahead and throw in some shredded chicken. A little protein goes a long way, so chicken could bump this meal up on the “I’m full scale” if you need it. 😉
Now excuse me while I go eat what is left in that pan!5
One Pot Veggie Mac N Cheese
By October 1, 2014Published:
- Yield: 3-4 Servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 25 mins
30 minute meal right here! Feeding your family veggies has never tasted so good! Cheese meet veggies... 🙂 For real though, who …
- 1 carton baby bella mushrooms
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 container cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful asparagus
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken stock homemade or low sodium prefered
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pink himalayan or kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat white flour
- Slice mushrooms, mince garlic, and put them together in a large sauté pan or pot on the stove with the olive oil. Cook over medium-high heat until mushrooms are spongy and garlic is tender.
- Slice tomatoes and asparagus in half. Add all other ingredients and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover, stirring very frequently so nothing sticks. Cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender and cheese is melted and nicely incorporated.