I’ll be the first to admit.. I LOVE fried chicken. Have you ever met anyone who doesn’t though?
When I was younger, I remember my parents taking me to Hardee’s after church. Remember Hardee’s? Apparently they are still around. Who knew?!?! I totally thought Wendy’s would have taken them down by now. At that time (20 some years ago) everyone was lovin’ the fried chicken at Hardee’s. You know, because it was the 90’s and people were snackin’ on SnackWells and Rice Cakes…then having some fried chicken. Not exactly how you remember your childhood? That’s probably a good thing! *face palm for SnackWells*
I always got the same thing at Hardee’s. If it was breakfast I would get the biscuits and sausage gravy, and if it was lunch I would get friend chicken. I know, I know, WHHHYYY!?!?! I was a kid though and had no idea this stuff was horrible. Now don’t get me wrong, a piece of fried chicken every once in a while isn’t going to kill anyone, but now-a-days I realize the oil they fry the chicken in is likely GMO and may even contain some preservatives and trans fats. Trans fats = deadly. Enough said!
Then one day a light-bulb went off above my head. How about I make my own chicken in the oven. It will be crispy, juicy, and delicious. No deep-fryer, no GMO oils, no trans fats. Just chicken, butter, spices, and whole wheat flour. Yes, it is THAT easy. And yes, this is one of those times I wish I would have realized this sooner.
For this Oven-Fried Chicken I first marinate the chicken in buttermilk, then pat it dry. After that I season the chicken GENEROUSLY with kosher/pink Himalayan salt, and pepper. I mix the spices together, season each piece, then dredge it in flour. I bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, then give each piece a nice rub of butter, to ensure the skin cooks up crispy and golden. How easy is that?
Not only do I love this meal because it is extremely delicious, it is also really inexpensive to put together, as chicken leg quarters don’t cost as much as breasts, or boneless chicken meat. I served this Oven Fried Chicken with a baked sweet potato and asparagus to add a ton of extra nutrition to this meal. Take a look. 🙂
Oven Fried Chicken Recipe
By June 23, 2014Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 60 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 0 min
I'll be the first to admit.. I LOVE fried chicken. Have you ever met anyone who doesn't though? When I was …
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1 cup buttermilk 1 cup milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- pink himalyan or kosher salt to taste (be generous!)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp mustard powder
- whole wheat white flour for dredging
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- Pour buttermilk over chicken and refrigerate for about 1 hour. Remove chicken from refrigerator and pat skin dry with a paper towel.
- Mix spices together. Generously salt and pepper the skin of each piece of chicken, then sprinkle with spice mix.
- Dredge in flour and place on broiling or baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 45-60 minutes, or until juices run clear. Halfway through, take your 2 Tbsp of melted butter and brush over chicken skin, making sure all flour is wet. If you don't wet all flour, you may end up with dry skin at the end!