Hello! Welcome to my first post in 2018, and my first post under a brand spankin’ new name! This Sticky Honey Mustard Garlic Chicken is the perfect way to start off the new year, but first….
What gives on the name change!?!?!
I’m ready to drop a few truth bombs right now, and it may not be pretty but it is genuine and it is me. I was struggling with the name 3boysunprocessed. Struggling for a very long time. In 2018 one of my goals was to make this blog a more comprehensive look at my life. To do that I desperately needed to change the name and break out of the box of unprocessed eating.
Four years ago, my life was completely different! When I started this blog, I was so passionate about cooking with the least processed ingredients. What you saw was what I was feeding my family. It was fun to me then, it was my own little project that I loved and babied. It grew my love for photography, it gave me a reason to talk about my children and document my life, and it was great. I was stunned when people actually cared. But then….
Life happened. My husband started a new career that took him on the road and away from home 5 days a week, we had another baby (and have another on the way now), I started a photography business, and my wee little babes who would eat anything suddenly didn’t want my whole wheat macaroni and honey sweetened delicious treats anymore. Things were different, my family was growing and changing, and my blog needed to reflect that.
Life can be extremely busy at times. Every time I thought to myself that I’d like to post a new recipe, I realized that it may not fit into the unprocessed box I had put myself into. I want to share my love for food here, and ultimately I have to be true and honest that this is not how I cook anymore. Of course, I am still cooking fresh, homemade meals for my family. However I’ve stopped stressing over certain ingredients such as white pasta and cane sugar. My sanity needed a break from hyper obsessing over my kids going to a birthday party and eating a hotdog bun. So I let go a little, and it feels great!
Looking into 2018, I’m really ready to share more stories about life, my family, my cooking, my Lipsense business, my love for photography, and so much more! I absolutely love looking back at all of my posts from when my boys were all super tiny, and I want to keep sharing the special little details without the stress of being in any kind of box. Cheers to 2018!
Now that the cat is out of the bag, shall we move on to this Sticky Honey Mustard Garlic Chicken? It is oozing with delicious Asian inspired flavors, simple ingredients, and my latest pregnancy craving… Jasmine Rice and soy sauce! It combines a few simple ingredients to check off every box on the BEST CHICKEN EVER list… sweet, salty, perfectly crunchy, and smothered in a delicious and easy to make sauce.
THIS IS CHICKEN HEAVEN.
One of my favorite way to make takeout inspired chicken is to dip it in egg, coat it with cornstarch, and then cook it on the stovetop. It gives a deep fried texture without actually deep frying or ordering takeout from a place that may or may not be using trans fats to fry their food. I love me some Panda Express, but I hate the way I feel after eating mystery ingredients. This is the perfect way to make it at home and know exactly what you are eating.
The most important step when cooking this Sticky Honey Mustard Garlic Chicken is to make sure your meat is properly seasoned. Don’t forget to season your chicken before you bread it. I always use coarse Kosher salt to season meats, it has never let me down! A sprinkle over all of your chicken chunks will work wonders.
Coating the chicken is easy, but can be messy! One thing I learned while working in restaurants and coating millions of pieces of chicken is to get everything where you need it before you start, and use one hand to dip and the other to coat. No matter how bad you want to just go right from the egg to the cornstarch with the same hand… DON’T DO IT or your hands will be a hot mess.
The sauce is super easy to put together! Cook the garlic, then add the rest of the ingredients and viola! It is super versatile, so if you like it a little more sweet, add more honey. If you like it a little more salty, add more soy sauce! If you don’t have whole grain mustard, use dijon! The sky is the limit here, this is really just a base recipe.
Also, apparently is is really easy to burn Jasmine rice. That is all I’m going to say about that. HAHA
Sticky Honey Mustard Garlic Chicken
By January 13, 2018Published:
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
Perfectly crunchy chicken smothered in a sweet, salty, Asian inspired sauce.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cubed, seasoned with kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt for seasoning chicken
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup canola oil I do use organic, non-GMO oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter or canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Cube chicken into small chunks. Season with kosher salt.
- Add 1/2 cup canola oil to a large sauté pan and pre- heat over medium-high heat. I kept my heat on medium and it cooked perfectly.
- Beat egg with 1 Tbsp water in a small bowl. In a separate bowl add 1/2 cup of cornstarch. With one hand dip your chicken in the egg, with the other coat your chicken in the cornstarch.
- Place coated chicken in saute pan in small batches, and allow each side to get golden brown and cooked through. You may need additional oil for cooking. When your chicken is cooked, remove from pan and place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- For the sauce: Mince garlic. Add 1 Tbsp butter or oil to small saute pan and cook over medium-low heat until garlic is fragrant and cooked. Add honey, mustard, and soy sauce. Add additional honey/soy sauce to taste.
- To finish: Toss chicken in sauce, serve immediately over cooked Jasmine rice. Top with fresh scallions to taste.